Children of Laos, Burma & Thailand

Melbourne Time

Thailand Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Thailand and Laos (and Myanmar if I can manage it)

Hello, Sawatdee kaa and Sabai dee,

My next trip will be Thailand and Laos, and this is all about the before, the trip and the after - similar to my Malaysia/Cambodia blog. I am putting together from start to finish - tickets, do's and don'ts, tours, where to stay, places to see, things to do, as well as useful extras like transport, good places to eat, what to wear, climate, tourist traps, tricks and tips and whatever else I can think of that will be useful.

If you have any tips or advice, please, feel free to leave a comment and add your bit - whatever you think may be helpful or interesting.
Cheers.


Thailand map


View Bangkok Thailand in a larger map

Playlist - My Travel Videos

Sunday, April 3, 2011

54. Namtok Station

We left Hellfire Pass and made our way to Namtok Railway Station. I wanted to ride the "Death Railway" and the last train left at 3.15pm.

Above: Namtok Station
We arrived with time to spare and my driver walked to the station and stayed with me while I bought my ticket, then checked it to make sure it was the right one.


Above: My Driver
This was my driver for the day, a pleasant fellow whose car had suspension!


Above: Ticket to Kanchanaburi
This is what the train tickets look like. Namtok to Kanchanaburi is 100 baht.


Above: Namtok Station Collage
Click on the photos to enlarge.


Above: Third Class Carriages
Wooden seats with straight backs, they're not really all that bad, and it's nice sitting on the train anyway looking at the passing scenery. Vendors go up and down several times selling drinks and sometimes fruit. The fans on the ceiling at least move the air and it's surprising how pleasant it can be if you're sitting in the "breeze".




Above: Station Master
Station Master getting ready to wave the flag for the train journey.


 
Above: Ticket Inspector
"Tickets please, tickets please", called the conductor - only in Thai of course. Even though most of us on the train didn't understand Thai, we all knew what he was saying. A happy, jolly fellow, he was quite happy to have his photo taken, something which I'm sure he must be asked many times a day.


Above: Goodbye to Namtok
As the tain pulled out, this was my last view of Namtok. The station itself was quite a pretty place and had I had more time, I'd have pottered around the stall vendors and had a cuppa. There were many people milling about, quite a hive of activity.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...